Small Business Saturday® is Coming!
I am part of the Shop Small Movement! I’m proud to be part of this annual event to encourage holiday shoppers to shop my local, small New Jersey business…
I am here to also introduce direct selling as a way to discover the freedoms of owning your own small business. I’ve been a successful direct seller for over 13 years and have built a nice side-gig that yields me additional income!
Making Money from Home
Unfortunately the industry has been tarnished by unscrupulous people promoting fraudulent and unsustainable sales pitches luring unsuspecting people while taking their hard-earned money. If you are looking for an opportunity to work from home and have heard the pitches about earning bigs dollars, I’m here to tell you…first, it can be hard to distinguish the real work-at-home businesses; second, any “get rich quick” or “easy money” pitch should be viewed with caution; and third, don’t forget to do thorough research and ask important questions BEFORE you get involved in any business opportunity.
What is a Pyramid Scheme?
Pyramid schemes are illegal and fraudulent systems where making money is more centered around recruiting and signing up other people than selling products. Since there are only a limited number of people in a given community, most people will never make money. Steer clear of these type of potential scammers!
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace. I encourage educating yourself by reading the FTCs – Multi-Level Marketing Businesses and Pyramid Schemes. Another United States federal government agency, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), works to protect investors and the securities markets, and facilitate capital formation. More information can learned by reading the SECs – Beware of Pyramid Schemes Posing as Multi-Level Marketing Programs.
What I Know
The Avon Company is the leading social selling beauty company in North America, with independent sales Representatives throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. Avon’s product portfolio includes award-winning skin care, color cosmetics, fragrance and personal care products, featuring iconic brands such as ANEW, Skin So Soft, belif, CHI, and The Face Shop, as well as home essentials, fashion and accessories. Avon has a 135-year history of empowering women through economic opportunity, and supporting the causes that matter most to women. Avon philanthropy has contributed over $800 million to breast cancer and other important causes. Avon is a proud member of the Direct Selling Association (DSA) and strongly supports their CODE OF ETHICS. The DSA’s Code of Ethics is a robust series of policies that every DSA member agrees to follow as a condition of membership. It holds member companies accountable for policies that protect independent salespeople and consumers and encourages the entire marketplace for direct selling to meet these high standards.
In an attempt to be fair and transparent, here is what I know about Avon’s business principles:
- The Avon business model does not rely on nor does it encourage sales of inventory, training or business support materials between Representatives. The core of our business model is Representatives selling our products to an end consumer. A representative’s compensation is tied to their sales. As sales level increase, commissions may increase. Representatives set their own hours as well as their sales goals, and their commissions are based on product sales.
- Avon has reasonable return policies. Representatives are not left holding excess inventory. Avon offers its customers 45 days from the date of purchase to return their product to their Avon Representative. Avon allows a Representative 60 days from the date of purchase to return a product.
- Avon limits earnings to three generations. The Avon Leadership opportunity offers rewards and bonuses for building your team and increasing sales. Avon offers opportunities and bonuses to expand Representative’s earnings potential. But Avon does not promise commissions on infinite sales but promotes and incentivize Representatives based on their own sales and their teams’ sales.
When I get questions about direct selling, I say to them: At its best, direct selling is “I tried the product. I liked the product. I recommend it to a friend.” If you are considering entering direct sales (or ‘social selling’) here are three tips to remember:
- Like the product! Make sure it’s a product you use and enjoy yourself. You can be a beauty influencer, skin care expect, sharing and selling to friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers.
- Understand the product. All good direct selling/social selling companies will provide training and mentoring support. But you should not need to invest heavily in start-up training and marketing materials. You are in control of how many hours you want to put into your business. Direct selling is for those who possess a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Know who you are buying from and who is paying you. When ordering product for your customers, make sure you will be purchasing from the Company, not the individual who recruited you into selling. And that your earnings will be paid by the Company. Direct Selling companies that survive on recruiting new participants rather than retail sales are pyramid schemes.
I’ve always loved jewelry, cosmetics, and fashion. I have childhood memories of receiving gifts of Avon products from my godmother. I remember a classmates mother selling Avon to mine. I continued to buy Avon into adulthood through a friends’ wife and a local woman. When they stopped selling, I decided to sign up to be an Avon Independent Sales Representative for the discount and maybe even make a little extra money. Fast forward thirteen years and I have built a nice side-gig that yields additional income. I also lead the Passionately Avon Team of like-minded people that adds to this income. My success came with truly loving Avon products and the company. I enjoy helping others start their own Avon businesses and accomplish things they never thought possible.
Be an Avon Insider
Avon offers a Compensation Plan competitive to other direct selling companies. You get the ability to shop wholesale prices to help you run a successful beauty business. I’m looking for dedicated people interested in earning some extra money or getting their own Avon purchases at a discounted price. My successful team members are people who are self-motivated and have an entrepreneurial drive or mindset.
If you are interested in selling Avon’s award-winning beauty products, begin within minutes for $0 (or with one of our other sign-up options), earn 25% commission on $40+ beauty orders + unlock exclusive discounts, perks and more by going to https://bit.ly/31Qp7za. My Reference Code (nrago) links you to my team so I can coach you on the Avon tools and training to start with your own small business, included with the $0 enrollment fee! Our starter collection (currently a $30 investment) gives you an incredible set of favorite products in full and sample sizes plus product-packed brochures (catalogs) to share and help you get your beauty business started. The $0 sign-up or a contribution to the American Cancer Society* (ACS) will get you started with your own online store and digital tools, but do not include a starter collection, brochures or samples.
Connect with me so I can answer your questions or concerns, help with signing up as a representative, as well as give you tips on how to begin building your own beauty business!
Sincerely Nancy, the Avon Lady of NJ
National Avon Independent Sales Representative; Avon Online Representative; Beauty Advisor; and Beauty Blogger since 2010. My Avon Awards and Recognitions include a:
- Certificate of Achievement for Avon Wellness (formerly Espira Pro, rebranded re:tune Inner Beauty)
- Beauty Certification for Avon Skin Care; and Avon Color Product Specialist
- Silver Ambassador Leader; and Passionately Avon Team Mentor
- Certificate of Completion for Build Like A Boss Training & Sales Workshop
- Achieved Destination Avon 2021 Big Island Hawaii +1; and 2022 Make(Up) Your Way to Free Gifts Incentive Programs
- President’s Club Member from 2014 – 2022; Rose Circle Sales Level in 2020 and 2022; and Honor Society Sales Level in 2017 – 2019, 2021
- #37 Regional Personal Sales Increase, #1 in New Jersey for Sales Increases; and #4 in NJ for Sales Volume 2021
- #33 Nationwide for Direct Delivery Sales Volume 2020; and #37 2019
- #13 in Northeast Region for Personal Sales Increase 2018
- #1 for District Online Sales 2015, 2016, 2017; and #1 for Division Online Sales 2015
Small Business Saturday is a marketing initiative created and promoted by the American Express credit card brand to encourage holiday shopping on the Saturday after Thanksgiving in the United States, during one of the busiest shopping periods of the year.
*The American Cancer Society does not endorse any product or service. Your ACS contribution will be aggregated and sent to ACS in a lump sum amount.